Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the aftermarket parts being made these days, is any one making a tilt hood conversion for the pre 2010 Teryx's? Im about ready to get the saw out :confused:. hope some one has something in the works.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That sounds like it will be sweet when they get it built and ready to sell! Im sure alot of people will want it if its priced fairly well. I know i would!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am really suprised that some is not already on the market like maier, I seen one guy that like cut a small hood openimg in to is hood and looked sharped, I have been waiting to get my hands on a 2010 hood so I could play with the brackets and try to make the swap, no doubt I can do it if I had 09 and 10 beside each other to build the brakets.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There is a little more to it than to just install a replacement hood. There are several pieces and brackets which bring the cost very very high. At this point there are several ideas but none of them are cost effective.

If you install a 2010 hood onto an earlier machine you need to replace the small piece above the dash, the main hood, head light buckets, head lights, mounting brackets, support brackets, latches, and so on and so on.

Mafia Industries does some really good work, I believe it will be well worth the wait.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When the plenum rings first came out they cost $50. Now if two little metal rings cost $50, an entire tilting hood conversion kit should cost ?????????hmmmmmmmmm? You guess!

·
Registered
780 Posts
1000 bucks if you have to buy hood, light bezels, lights and brackets. best thing to do is come up with a kit and have the end user do the final mods to existing hoods to make it work.
and in case someone is thinking "then why dont you". well i started it, but just dont have time to work on anything since its not a job that pays the bills.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I would think forwarded opening would be easier to do. That or cut it across the back and sit on a built ledge.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Has anyone ever cut a hole above the radiator cap and found some type of rubber plug to pop in when not filling radiator? I just installed the water impellar and of course i now have to add coolant (which is a bitch to remove the cap).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I saw a guy here that did cut a hole above his rad cap & then put a door over it. I think it was a after market fuel door if I remember. I personally like mine better. I can access the fan,clean the rad,add coolant if needed. crow

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah your the guy that did what i think i would like to do to mine. I wish you had a video on how you did that. I have been telling people about yours. Makes that ugly 2010 teryx look better every time i have to remove my hood. How is yours holding up? What kind of material is that that you used and how did you make a templet to cut out? What fastens it to stay on? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I also have told people about your mod, looks great man. I still can not believe that no one has a kit out to solve this problem. Again great job crow , when I get some of my other projects finished I will be doing something similar to yours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what I had in mind was to hinge the front end, bolt on at the winch mount area, then cut the factory hood just in front of the dash area. Throw in a couple of braces.Then fab up some sort of ledge for it to sit on with hood pins. Ive just been to busy to do it. By using the factory hood, it shouldnt be to expensive for a hinge ass. a couple of braces. As soon as I get back in my shop Im gonna fab it up and see how it looks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got another floorboard plug from the dealer and cut a hole in the hood above the radiator cap and it just snaps into place. Raise your hood up when you drill it so as not to get into the radiator! I used a 2" holesaw if I remember right, just measure the outside diameter of the plug at its base. Works great and didnt cost much to do

·
Registered
123 Posts
coydo, no video, sorry. The toughest part was starting the saw for the first cut. Hood was perfect before, but now is better. No problems so far, the white stuff is 1/8" plastic (puckboard in canada). It has a screw in each corner on the front end to hold it down into the puckboard . I bought 2 of those rubber t straps to install on the front instead of screws but had visions of tree branches popping them & losing my hood on the trailer. On the top end there is more puck board sort of tongue & groove style. I will post more pictures will help. As far as where to cut or a template,just follow my pictures. the only one to change would be the top cut. I left room to pop rivet some puck board for the top pocket. If you used hinges you could go up further for a larger opening. Also I used pop rivets to put the puckboard pieces on. I also lifted the hood up before cutting with the jigsaw so the blade only cut the hood not anything else. Any questions just ask. Crow

·
Registered
526 Posts
Crow, what is puck board and what would be equivalant for us down in the south.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Fastdmax. what is that you used to make your look like that???? Looks clean and easy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts