Teryx HQ banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Sport: I always used this product (fix-a-flat stuff) because of prickly pear cactus in Badlands where we hunt/ride in previous atvs. Any reason not to use in my new one?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Slime again! - used it in our quads when we stud the winter tires and they always tend to leak but it really slows it down, otherwise wouldn't even get a ride out of some tires before they would be flat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a yfz 450 we tried slime in. Around top speed all hell broke loose and it would bounce all over the road. Am I the only one who has experienced this. I like slime......but not in high speed rigs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have always used the brand (BERRYMAN) tire sealant that is sold at tractor supply and have had great luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had a yfz 450 we tried slime in. Around top speed all hell broke loose and it would bounce all over the road. Am I the only one who has experienced this. I like slime......but not in high speed rigs.
Never really had any problems with them except when they were cold you would get a heavy spot until warmed up, unless you have or had too much in there!

·
Registered
258 Posts
We do see vibration on the class 1 cars, on road (around +60ish MPH). Just because the Slime will unbalance the tire. But it does an excellent job at sealing those small cactus needle holes!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have run my Bridgestone store for 31 years, sealants are a big help in the ATV market.
The things you have to beware of is some sealants will rust some steel wheels and cause corrosion on alloys and alot of the sealants will make it impposible to put permenant repair on the inside of a tire, the chemicals that reacts in the rubber to stop a leak will prevent the chemicals in the cement from making the bond in a repair. In saying this they still help alot of people out of some bad situations, I don't use any sealants myself.
Alot of tire companys will void the warranty with the use of sealants, again they can be a big help in the ATV and lawnmower tires. Slime is probally one of the best sealants if you are going to use one, but I would not use them in automoble tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for mixed reviews. Maybe I will consider a spare tire and wheel. The tires on my new 09 Sport appear to be thicker than smaller atvs I used to run.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for mixed reviews. Maybe I will consider a spare tire and wheel. The tires on my new 09 Sport appear to be thicker than smaller atvs I used to run.
FYI on the stock Maxxis tires, I have 1,600+ miles on my stockers (mostly desert and rocks) and not a patch, plug or leak. The stock rims have dings all over! These are some good tires. I can't see anywhere on the tire that the Slime has sealed a hole (you'll see a little green dot or bubble).

I also carry a patch/plug kit and a small compressor in the glovebox.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I carry a stock front tire for a spare. It will work front or rear and takes up less bed space(the wife thinks she has to take EVERYTHING with us). And yes I have had the slime "bounce" in my old Raptor and in my 700XX. It usually only happens when its balls to the wall.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are most of you guys saying you put in the slime before the tires gets a flat? I have my stock tires with no sealant in them and no problems either. I do carry a 12 volt compressor, a repair kit and a bottle of slime. Never needed them yet with about 1000 miles so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fireguy: We put the foam product in the tires to help avoid the spines of cactus that will puncture tires and cause a slow leak. Appears my 09 Sport has thicker tires and may not be a problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding some of the terminology here , but are some of you mistaking (Fix-A-Flat) for Slime ? Fix-Flat is put in after you have a flat to get you home for a better repair . Slime is added in the tire (BEFORE ) you get a hole. It seals it before you even realize there is a leak.
I swear by Slime . It may be overkill , but I even run it in my cargo trailer tires . It's a little bumpy the first couple of miles when towing , but smooths out after that.
My brother bought my old quad off me when I upgraded . First thing he did was replace the old back tires. The mechanic that mounted the tires , found about 20+ crabapple thorns in each back tire . I only noticed a 1/2 pound of air loss per riding season .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4x4dad: The product we use here is a tire sealant designed to be added to air inside tire. Normal pressure is lowered and TXT or other brand is forced in through valve stem, tire rotated several times to spread. Mine comes from Cabelas in 4 oz bottles (one for each tire.)I am not qualified to debate though, just sayin. The prickly pear cactus is everywhere we ride and can eventually puncture into tire. Appears my 09 Sport has thicker tires than previous atvs. Thanks to all for reply.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My misunderstanding . I was worried when you said ( fix a flat stuff ) in your first post , that you may have bought the wrong sealant . The sealant your describing is the same stuff I use , just is a different name brand .
All this snow we got this winter , I sure wish I had to worry about desert cactus......... :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts