Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help guys if you have a minute. I just purchased a used 2008 Teryx yesterday. I was riding today and noticed a loud clanking sound coming :confused:from the rearend or transmission. It not only makes a loud noise but also is very jerky when the noise occurs. It only does it when in LOW range. In High range the machine works perfectly in or out of 4 wheel drive. Will someone give me some insight on possible parts broken. I drained the rearend oil and it looked clean, with no metal shaving visible. It sems like it's more noticable in low range going up a hill. I'm really unsure about where to look from here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mine made that same type of noise before and it was because it was jumping in and out of gear and all i had to do was make a shifter adjustment so that it would not be jumping in and out of gear, Mine only did it when in low gear also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi
There is some clunking type noise between the Transmission and the rear end. My 2008 did it when I picked it up at the dealer. I think the electric break may have something to do with it also engaging below 5 mph. I fixed mine by welding a 1/2" square tubing in between the threads on the shift linkage. This 1/4" rod has too much flex and the gears move back and forth to much. I have did this on 2 teryx with quitter gear lash. Good luck with your Teryx.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transmission trouble

I'll check the shift adjustment this evening. The problem certainly isn't backlash or engine break. It is not normal. It acts like its in between gears when in low gear; trying to go up an incline. It got so bad that it would just sit there and clank then would catch and take off. I appreciate all the insight you guys have given me. I just bought this a couple of days ago. Guess I should have checked it over more closely.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

This evening I consider myself pretty lucky. I adjusted around on the shift lever and did manage to find the sweet spot; no more clunking!! Thanks for the recommendations gentlement, you saved me big bucks on something that I managed fixing myself.

·
Registered
526 Posts
So it was the same thing mine was doing. I still have to move my shifter some times when starting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine was doing the very same thing. That 1/4" shift linkage from the shifter to the transmission because of its size and length flexes a lot side to side. Stiffing the rod and adjusting it properly makes a huge difference in the clunking and noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts