Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only guy that the valves need to be adjusted every 1200 miles,it costs me 350 dollars every 4 months.The dealer says its not too common but my valves keep pounding in the head and then it will not start.any suggestions maybe Hunterworks could put up another good video.I find them very helpful wish I lived near by so I could thank him

·
Registered
311 Posts
Stock valve springs are to weak. Not that big of a job to do it your self. 350 would be way to much to pay.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I doubt I do a video on that but it is relatively easy. Just download a service manual from tradebit.com for less than $10 and do it yourself.

Who ever is charging you $350 should deserves a beat down. I would think one hour of labor only and that would run you $60 to $100 depending on the shop rate

·
383 Posts
I doubt I do a video on that but it is relatively easy. Just download a service manual from tradebit.com for less than $10 and do it yourself.

Who ever is charging you $350 should deserves a beat down. I would think one hour of labor only and that would run you $60 to $100 depending on the shop rate
It would depend on how stripped down the machine is when dropped off. Fully assembled it would definately take more than an hour to adjust valves.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys the kawi rep says this is not a common occurance he has not seen any web site then.If I would have known this I would have never bought a Kawi Teryx in the first place.One shop charged me 300 dollars in Canada {holeshot in Langley B.C} the other shop charged me almost 400 dollars in Bellingham washington {mount Baker motorsports}

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
The local dealer here tried to tell me it was 3 hours to set the valves on my Brute Force Quad. Then I asked how much if I removed all the plastic (took less than an hour), it still was a 3 hour charge, so I did it myself. Some dealers are better known as stealerships.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Am I the only guy that the valves need to be adjusted every 1200 miles,it costs me 350 dollars every 4 months.The dealer says its not too common but my valves keep pounding in the head and then it will not start.any suggestions maybe Hunterworks could put up another good video.I find them very helpful wish I lived near by so I could thank him
How do you know when it is time to adjust them?

·
Registered
62 Posts
your eventually gona have to do a valve job,was adjusting mine every two rides till it ran outof adjustment it should be a recall but kawi is making a killing on adjusting valves ,told me it was dust i call bs ,ikeep my filter clean if it was the filter seems to me like thy ed do somthing about it.just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it was sand or dust from the air cleaner the pistons and rings would be damaged as well .They have had this problem since 2007 from what I can see.I would really start a fight with them but I dont want to tell everyone what a big piece of shit i have bought because I will want to try and unload this piece of crap.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If it was sand or dust from the air cleaner the pistons and rings would be damaged as well .They have had this problem since 2007 from what I can see.I would really start a fight with them but I dont want to tell everyone what a big piece of shit i have bought because I will want to try and unload this piece of crap.
They just use crappy valves and springs.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
$350 is a lot for a valve job. My local dealer charges like that, and when I wanted my clutch pulled thissummer, they told me come back in the winter when we slow down :laugh:
So I bought a $32 bolt instead.
PS whoever is charging you $10 for an online service manual is ALSO ripping you off.
Service Manual for 2008 Kawasaki Teryx | UTV Forums
I would not do a valve job for $350, that is a severe bargain. Same process as doing a whole top end because if done right you got to pull cylinders and change base gaskets because once you take the heads off the pressure is off the base gaskets and they will most likely leak if you don't.

Assuming when your talking valve job you mean changing valves and springs not just a adjustment, if so then $350 is way too much

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am with you on that Todd, normally when you say valve job that means tearing down the heads and removing the valves and replace or in some cases on other machines grinding thje valves and seats but on these Kawis I would deffinitely replace the valves and springs.
Not to be confused with valve adjustment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
All this valve talk I had to go out to the shop and look at the gap on my 09 Sport with 1720 mi. and 127hr. the intakes were at .11mm and the ex. were at .21mm just like the book say's, now I don't have to think about that anyway.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll tell you what mickey at four stroke tech told me.He's been doing these v twins longer than anyone. Valves are not bad it is the week springs. My car has 1300 wide open miles on it . When I tore it down to do my hybird 840 valves were like new,had them tested and never leaked 1 drop. Did adjust them a couple of times,were not off very much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks I just watched the guy adjust my valves this time next time I will do my self.We decided to try to change the springs without taking the heads off if we can find suitable springs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts