Teryx HQ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of the same vendors are also on Teryxforums.net so sorry for asking the question twice.

I'm looking at a 4 seat cage to protect my kids on family rides and me for some part time racing.

What type of tubing do you use and why? Do you consider any of the desert racing or other sanctioning bodies when designing the cage and choosing materials?

Tie into the bed or to the frame - pros & cons?

I don't see many cages considering gussets or triangulation that would be common in other forms of racing, but I haven't looked that hard.

Bottom line, while I want a good looking cage, first & foremost I want to make it to work on Monday to pay the bills:D

Feel free to direct me to some pics!

Thanks. I'm shopping btw, so PM me some prices if you like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Crash,

There are lots of cages out there, but they are all NOT built the same. Looking at the safety aspect is job#1, or should be. So definetly look around. I got a cage from SDR Motorsports, and am very happy all the way around! Strong as hell, Stout, properly braced, and in the case of a rollover, can withstand most of what your worst case scenario is in sand, dirt, rocks. Short of a full built race cage, the SDR 4 Seater cage rocks! You can get it with or without a roof. Looks Great! Built with ASTM-1020 DOM 1 3/4x.095. Double front tube cross bracing as in a trophy truck design. Full Bracing throughout. A,B,C pillar design for strength, belt crossbar,front crossbar, bed lockout, even front intrusion bars... You name it this cage has it. I got multiple tabs at the rear, and it's tab'd for a lightbar. You can customize it to your exact needs, and all are powdercoated with tons of color options.

Checkout their site, and if Q's or pricing, either PM Bajabuggin, or call the shop and ask for Tim! He'll hook you up right. Tell him your on this site. He is also a build sponsor. He can ship it to you if needbe. But look at the way a cage should be built... Hopefully we'll never need it, but I know mine will work...

Rhino, Teryx, RZR, Prowler, Ranger, sport cages
<--Rollover Video

Hope the info helps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I had indeed looked at SDR a little and noted the things you mentioned. Safety is the first requirement for me. I'm confident that it'll get rolled on more than one occassion.

The wonder about all of these... how do they feel about attaching the cage to the bed vs trying to go ahead and get to the frame?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
There are a lot of good options out there, some build an integrated rear bumper and cage, others bolt the cage to the bottom of the bed, etc. I think your main concern should be with the placement of the crossmembers, and supports. Those give the cage the structural integrity during a roll over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks diesel for the feedback. From what little I know, it surprises me the variation on some of the cages. I spoke with SDR and a few others with similarly designed cages that are what I'm looking for. I'm trying to compare buying and paying the freight vs maybe talking to some of the dirt track car builders about building something. Any thoughts..? Anyone done that or aware of some cage builders in the south? It's hard to pay 30% of the cost of the cage in freight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts