Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to bring this up again.

Spinning in 2WD allows the front drive shaft to spin on the input shaft in the front diff which just has a bushing in it, it gets so hot it will melt the seal or damage the seal inside the front yoke. It will appear to the large seal around the yoke.

So if your spinning alot put it in 4wd and make sure you have your front drive shaft removed if you have your Teryx dynoed.

Todd

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just want to bring this up again.

Spinning in 2WD allows the front drive shaft to spin on the input shaft in the front diff which just has a bushing in it, it gets so hot it will melt the seal or damage the seal inside the front yoke. It will appear to the large seal around the yoke.

So if your spinning alot put it in 4wd and make sure you have your front drive shaft removed if you have your Teryx dynoed.

Todd
I did remove my front drive shaft on the jack stand simulated dyno during tuning of my 840 for that very reason :laugh:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say spin, do you mean if you are stuck in a rut or spmething and just spinning the wheels?
Yes that is exactly what I mean, never spin for any reason too much in 2wd.

If you are, go to 4wd. Spinning in 4wd is ok because the the front yoke will be locked to the input shaft on the front diff then so the seal won't get hurt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thats CRAP, i live in Minnesota where we have fun winters and your telling me I cant do donuts and spin around in the snow, is this thing a POS?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wasn't going to post on this but I reckon now I will...

I play and cut up and never lock mine in 4wd unless I need it with 0 issues what so ever... Pulling one up on a dyno and running it up to 70mph with the front tires never turning(meaning no oil circulation) is way different than riding around and cutting donuts or just spinning.

If there aren't power slides, donuts, rooster tails, and burn outs invol
ved then you aren't having fun!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wasn't going to post on this but I reckon now I will...

I play and cut up and never lock mine in 4wd unless I need it with 0 issues what so ever... Pulling one up on a dyno and running it up to 70mph with the front tires never turning(meaning no oil circulation) is way different than riding around and cutting donuts or just spinning.

If there aren't power slides, donuts, rooster tails, and burn outs invol
ved then you aren't having fun!
I agree, someone is feeding us some BS..Until mine breaks, i'll do all the fun driving in 2WD..:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would think as long as the front tires are turning, 2 or 4 wheel drive the front diff is going to be OK, what kills them is when the front tires are not turning, wheather its on a dyno or your stuck in a rut. If your in 2 wheel drive doing dohnuts your still turing the front tires.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't think Hunterworks is referring to the occasional donut or powerslide, but rather long and continuous tire spinning in 2wd in sand, mud or on the dyno. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trying to figure out how I can make money off telling you guys not to spin tires too long in 2wd.

Trying to figure out how this might be BS.

Can't figure out either, shucks!!

If I was selling you something to fix this issue then maybe, it was just free advice to help someone out.

I have done it on our Teryx on the dyno and our shop fixed one from the spinning way too much.

Take the advice if you want, don't if you don't!!

Todd

·
Registered
158 Posts
So what about Duning in 2wd when the tires are spinning most of the time, Do you suggest being in 4wd at all times? Or do you thonk Sandwarrior is correct in saying that as long as the front tires are turning you should be ok

·
Registered
49 Posts
So what about Duning in 2wd when the tires are spinning most of the time, Do you suggest being in 4wd at all times? Or do you thonk Sandwarrior is correct in saying that as long as the front tires are turning you should be ok

Exactly what I want to know as well. I spend 99% of my riding this thing is in the sand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK guys, see if this helps, the front drive shaft always turns 2 or 4 wheel drive,the 4 wheel engagement is in the front diff, if you are stuck or on a dyno the front tires are not turning. if you are in 2 wheel drive and spinning the rear tires the front tires are not turning at all. the front drive shaft is. and the front end seal is not getting lubed by the front diff turnining. so to much rear wheel spin could burn up the seal in the front diff. Tod is not blowing smoke up any one ass, just trying to help every-one from damaging there teryx's.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think anyone is blowing smoke. All I wanted to know is what was the best advise when riding it. Should I worry about the rear tires spinning when not in 4x4, and is it actually the front tires spinning that lubes the seal.... verses the spinning drive shaft. I've read quite a few leaking seal threads, and most of them were just driving them, or in other words never dynoed. Igot the picture that maybe even 2wd and the front tires still moving was not enough to keep the seal from leaking.

For what it's worth I've dynoed mine for 3-4 runs, only to see the A/F. Seal is not leaking but I was aware of this seal and dyno issue ahead of time, but figured a couple runs weren't going to kill the seal. Later on when I do dyno the crap out of it (I dyno alot) I will be pulling the shaft.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think anyone is blowing smoke. All I wanted to know is what was the best advise when riding it. Should I worry about the rear tires spinning when not in 4x4, and is it actually the front tires spinning that lubes the seal.... verses the spinning drive shaft. I've read quite a few leaking seal threads, and most of them were just driving them, or in other words never dynoed. Igot the picture that maybe even 2wd and the front tires still moving was not enough to keep the seal from leaking.

For what it's worth I've dynoed mine for 3-4 runs, only to see the A/F. Seal is not leaking but I was aware of this seal and dyno issue ahead of time, but figured a couple runs weren't going to kill the seal. Later on when I do dyno the crap out of it (I dyno alot) I will be pulling the shaft.
Hi Terse, I havent had any problems with my front seal either, It just seems some people arnt understanding what Tods trying to say to help every one from having problems with there front seal. Sure they will take some abuse but he has found that is a way to cuase failure that can be avoided thats all:good:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just came back from the sand dunes this past sat and every time I had it in 2wd I kept thinking about the rear tires spinning (to get going) and what the seal was doing. Come to find out that with paddle tire on in the rear and front smooth sand tires in the front that in 2wd in would "dig down" and it launched better in 4wd even with front smooth tires.

I can understand that as long as the front tires are turning the seal will be fine, and that while on the dyno the front tires are not moving and the seal is heating up. :good:

P.S. I'm super glad my paddles and Dyna showed up in time for the sand trip. The stock rev and mph limiter would have been just sad :laugh: Can't wait till the Pro Muzzy comes in.:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just came back from the sand dunes this past sat and every time I had it in 2wd I kept thinking about the rear tires spinning (to get going) and what the seal was doing. Come to find out that with paddle tire on in the rear and front smooth sand tires in the front that in 2wd in would "dig down" and it launched better in 4wd even with front smooth tires.

I can understand that as long as the front tires are turning the seal will be fine, and that while on the dyno the front tires are not moving and the seal is heating up. :good:

P.S. I'm super glad my paddles and Dyna showed up in time for the sand trip. The stock rev and mph limiter would have been just sad :laugh: Can't wait till the Pro Muzzy comes in.:D
Cool deal what sand dunes do you do, Its to hot at Dumont and Glamis now,we dune in the winter time around here. i have some freinds in Utah that dune in the summer

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never dyno without unhooking the front shaft, it only takes minutes to do it and no tools required.

The front yoke has a brass bushing in it and it runs on the input shaft, your less likely to get it hot when just spinning but prolonged spinning in 2wd will get the yoke hot from the spinning then melt out the inner seal.

We race in 4wd but it handles better anyway

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I'd pop the front shaft off on the dyno and wouldn't worry too much on the trail.
This isn't a huge problem or you be hearing about it all the time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts