Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching graphics for about 3 months now. i've been wanting to "flame out" my 09 Sport. Silver to black metallic fade. I searched every graphics kit I could find and nothing fit the bill. And this is not to mention that the average cost was over $500. Looked into having them hand painted/airbrushed ... over a grand. Not to mention I actually use my machine and don't want to have to worry about a scratch on custom paint.
I finally called a local graphics place that specializes in signs, but has done some auto wraps as well. I talked to a designer and told them what I wanted and this is the response I got ....
1) Come down and work with our designer to get it exactly how you want.
We can show you a few different version of color fades and flame styles
to nail down the look you want.
2) No template for a Teryx, so please leave it here for a week so we can
test fit the proofs and adjust as needed.
3) Come back the day of installation so you can ok it before we apply

Cost for this ... $8 per square foot installed.

HOLY CRAP! Less than $200 for a custom kit installed. I'll post pics once it's done. I saw their work and it's top-notch. And btw ... once they have a template it's game on!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish I could find somebody that cheap! I talked to a couple of wrap places around here and they all wanted $800 to $1000 and I didn't even want any thing special just to make all the black on my car orange!

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Depends on the wrap and the people doing it...I've seen some aweful wraps...and even the good ones do not come close to mimicking paint IMHO....they DO tear and rip from impact (despite what they tell you) and they DO fade (again, despite what they tell you)...BUT it is a cheap and easy alternative to paint...

I don't think painters are making a whole hell of alot of money on cars...most of my friends that do that are out of work or out of business...good paint is $350 a gallon now days...a gallon of clear is $125 and thats just for regular clear...some of the clears I use are over $300 a gallon...add in another gallon of primer at $100?...throw in a couple of days sanding, prepping, painting, wet sand the paint, clear coating, wet sand the clear and buff or reclear?...easy $750...painting is alot of work...trust me, I know...

·
Registered
983 Posts
$200.00 IS INSANE CHEAP .... if it works out, looks good and holds up that will be A KILLER DEAL. The wrap on my 2010 was $1000.00 it was done by a graphics company that i have used for years. The quality work they do is top notch. They use high end material. The stuff they do does not fade very easy and i have seen his wraps after 4 years and they look great still. The biggest issue with wrapping plastic on the teryx is the plastic is oily and breaths. So you have to wrap spots that will stock and stay down.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess we'll see when it's all done. It'll be a couple weeks before I can drop it off. I was able to put eyes on the owner's Hummer H2 that they did, and a VW Beetle that was done about 2 years ago. They looked great. There is a local racer's YFZ450 in their shop right now and I'm going back today to check out the finished product.
I don't worry about fade too much because when my 09 isn't at the dunes, it's in the trailer. I'm going to do some research on what material i should avoid. If I could get 4 years out of it I'd be very pleased for the price. At $
8/ft2 it's more than worth a shot!

If they get the Teryx "template" squared away and agree to do more ... I'll post their information on here. They're located in Layton, Utah.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$200.00 IS INSANE CHEAP .... if it works out, looks good and holds up that will be A KILLER DEAL. The wrap on my 2010 was $1000.00 it was done by a graphics company that i have used for years. The quality work they do is top notch. They use high end material. The stuff they do does not fade very easy and i have seen his wraps after 4 years and they look great still. The biggest issue with wrapping plastic on the teryx is the plastic is oily and breaths. So you have to wrap spots that will stock and stay down.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE[/QUOTE

Are there sections I should stay away from to avoid pealing or lifting

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wraps

I just did a real flame job on mine with a wrap and it looks awesome.

Spin Imaging in Long Beach, Ca already has the template for the 2010 Teryx. Anyone can build a wrap but only the good ones can install it and make it look like paint.

In the end you get what you pay for and don't think because it is a wrap that you can't scratch it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was looking into some graphics also, found this place and seems to be a nice price and nice kit.
BRM OFFROAD - UTV GRAPHIC KIT SAMPLES
Seems every time I am ready to buy from them the money is needed elsewhere. Hopefully before the next riding season begins.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have been dealing with place this week on getting a custom decal made for the tailgate of Sandjunkie's 48" aluminum bed. I had them scan an image of the icredible hulks "angry face". They just got me the quote which is 85.00. Its on 3m vinyl with 3m laminate. Seems high to me for a 48" sticker. My kids are dictating what we put on so don't laugh at the HULK!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know there are deals to be had out there. Especially with times being a little tough. I think the reason that I started this thread wasn't so much that I had found a deal that noone else could find. My point was more frustration that most of the "graphics kit" companies are selling them for $450+. I really don't want to spend close to $500 just to pull up next to a machine with the same graphics. I'd be a little torqued.
I think the "custom" graphics from a local company is defintely the way to go. Of course hand painted is better, but there's no way I'd spend over a grand on some flames that will get scratched and beat on.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I figure you ride it and put the graphics on just before you sell it to cover up the scratches. (might need to do a bit of wet sanding first).

·
Registered
260 Posts
go with paint! if your painter uses enough clear it will hold up just fine! wouldn't recommend paint for the woods, just dunes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts