Premium Member
430 Posts
Who on here races side by sides?

What type of racing
Track
Baja
Mud Races?

What do you need to get started.
It can get pretty exspensive. At most tracks for your first race they will let you run pretty much stock but after that you will need a minimum of a fire exstinguisher and 4 or 5 point harnesses and possibly side door protection. To move to Mod or the next class you will need a cage and if you want to keep up suspension. Oh ya and a race suite helmet gloves and eye protection. So I think i just named off about $7000.00 to $8000.00 worth of stuff. But don't get discouraged racing the stock class is really fun and the least exspensive.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
it Can Get Pretty Exspensive. At Most Tracks For Your First Race They Will Let You Run Pretty Much Stock But After That You Will Need A Minimum Of A Fire Exstinguisher And 4 Or 5 Point Harnesses And Possibly Side Door Protection. To Move To Mod Or The Next Class You Will Need A Cage And If You Want To Keep Up Suspension. Oh Ya And A Race Suite Helmet Gloves And Eye Protection. So I Think I Just Named Off About $7000.00 To $8000.00 Worth Of Stuff. But Don't Get Discouraged Racing The Stock Class Is Really Fun And The Least Exspensive.

Aslo Keep In Mind You Will Need A Good Support Team To Help You During The Race (short Course/offroad)

As Well As Spare Parts So That If You Have A Failure Or An Encounter With Another Racer You Can Come Back For A Better Finish For The Second Heat(short Course)

In Offroad Or Endurance Races You Will Want To Be In Shape Cause That Can Really Take Alot Out Of You

Your Suport Team Usually Needs To Be Bigger And Your Spare Parts Usually Need To Be More Plentyful Then Short Course

Having Patience Will Help You Keep Your Focus On The Track/course Which Will Allow You To Race A Smart And Safe Race Instead Of A Wreckless And Unsafe Race

If You Are On A Budget Don't Short Cut On The Safty Equipment That The Race Sanctions Requires

Always Get The Best That Is Available Even If It Means To Miss One Race To Save Up For The Better/safer Equipment

It's Not Worth It To Skimp On Quality To Try To Make A Race. Especially If Something Happens And You Are Injured Very Badly And Can't Race Anymore Or Even Worse Costs You Lots Of Money In Doctor Bills And New Life Style Adjustments.

Personal Advice......make Sure That You Include Your Race Team As If They Own The Race Vechile As Well Always Say We (we Did A Good Job Or We Won)

When You Do This They Put More Effort In Being Part Of The Team Cause Their Time Is Very Valuable And You Can't Do It All By Yourself

Good Luck In Your Racing Adventurs

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Depends on where you are. If you are on the eastern side of the states and want to race in the GNCC or the TG Challange, all you need is a stock vehicle helmet and a co-driver and you can have as much fun as any of us.

We race these two styles and don't even bring tools, you will lose if you have to work on it. Same goes for spare parts or support team, they simply are not needed.

We raced in the stock class and now the modified class, there is very little difference and we won the first TG Challenge 0-700 cc Modified race.

You would not make it thru these course with long travel, they are races thru the woods. I think in retail dollars on my 700 Race Rhino I have about $3000 worth of stuff including power steering which is really nice.

I'm overweight and out of shape and still compete and don't get sore anymore now that I have power steering.

It can be inexpensive over here in these two race venues but very expensive in the west.

They are simply two different styles from the east to the west. The think the main reason is they don't have trees out west :)

Click on the following link to read about racing in the East

What it takes to race in the East

Below is two links to the racing associations.

www.gnccracing.com
www.tgchallenge.com

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
depends On Where You Are. If You Are On The Eastern Side Of The States And Want To Race In The Gncc Or The Tg Challange, All You Need Is A Stock Vehicle Helmet And A Co-driver And You Can Have As Much Fun As Any Of Us.

We Race These Two Styles And Don't Even Bring Tools, You Will Lose If You Have To Work On It. Same Goes For Spare Parts Or Support Team, They Simply Are Not Needed.

We Raced In The Stock Class And Now The Modified Class, There Is Very Little Difference And We Won The First Tg Challenge 0-700 Cc Modified Race.

You Would Not Make It Thru These Course With Long Travel, They Are Races Thru The Woods. I Think In Retail Dollars On My 700 Race Rhino I Have About $3000 Worth Of Stuff Including Power Steering Which Is Really Nice.

I'm Overweight And Out Of Shape And Still Compete And Don't Get Sore Anymore Now That I Have Power Steering.

It Can Be Inexpensive Over Here In These Two Race Venues But Very Expensive In The West.

They Are Simply Two Different Styles From The East To The West. The Think The Main Reason Is They Don't Have Trees Out West :)

Click On The Following Link To Read About Racing In The East

what It Takes To Race In The East

Below Is Two Links To The Racing Associations.

The New GNCC Racing Online
TopGear UTV Challenge
Thats Pretty Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Looks Like Fun Racing Not So Serious All Of The Time

Just Run What You Brung Fun

·
Registered
516 Posts
Who on here races side by sides?

What type of racing
Track
Baja
Mud Races?

What do you need to get started.
I would love to race the Teryx, feel like I am doing it already. Gotta find somewhere to go and try it out ...something for you to organize in Alberta Doug if you are bord! :D

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'd be happy if all or some of the Alberta Teryx drivers would meet somewhere for a fun ride or a weekend and not have to deal with race organization this year.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have always wanted to go riding around Hinton and/or Rocky Mountain House. A few buddys always went somewhere around Hinton to what I thought they said were sand dunes or sand hills??? Not too sure. I know lots of guys love Rocky Mountain House because they said the trails and hillclimbs are awesome there. We can arrange a weekend ride for the spring time and would like to try and get out to it. Sat & Sun, somewhere we can camp? Let me know when you have it all organized Doug and will see if some friends want to come! :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I grew around there. Its the Brule Sand Dunes and is just before the Park Gates. Cadomin/Mountain Park area is good riding too. Ram Falls area by Rocky Mtn House is great riding, some narrow trails though.
Is a long weekend or a standard weekend better? I'll start a new thread tonight.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Doesn't matter to me, as long as I know far enough ahead I can arrange missing work for a weekend. Here too much as it is so would be nice to get away when it is nice out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts