Teryx HQ banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many of you recommend the Odyssey 925 battery for the Teryx. I hear it sells for something like $130.00?
My question is why is it better then the Optima I can buy for the Teryx for $75.00? Not being smart I just want to know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know either as I still run the stock battery. I have read better reviews for the Odyssey though, so will probably go with it. I think I can fit two 925's in the stock location without modification so that is a bonus to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I read those same reviews, but is it $60.00 better then the Optima. I could put 2 Optima batteries in the Teryx for $150.00 (providing they fit of course) and it would cost $300.00 for the Odyssey 925 batteries. There most be a difference, but I would like to know how much as they are both dry batteries.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I went with dual batteries so I could leave the stock set up alone and run the extras on a different battery.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think the optimas are about double the weight for same cranking power but i could be wrong, i have the oddysey based on recomendations here and i have to say i am very pleased with it. Last time out did a bunch of winching and battery never gave up, very pleased.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I see many of you recommend the Odyssey 925 battery for the Teryx. I hear it sells for something like $130.00?
My question is why is it better then the Optima I can buy for the Teryx for $75.00? Not being smart I just want to know.
Just curious where your finding the odyssey for $130. In my neck of the woods I'm looking at $200. Would that be $130 local for you or shipped?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went with dual batteries so I could leave the stock set up alone and run the extras on a different battery.
Doug what are you running for a second battery?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I am setting up to run dual Oddysey 925s. They make good power and are compact. I got a holding tray on my last trip down to AZ that will hold them in the current battery location (I forget the brand but can didg it up if needed). SXS Customs is sending me a spliter that charges the main battery to full then switches over to the accessory battery and a switch can join them temporarily if one battery dies.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am setting up to run dual Oddysey 925s. They make good power and are compact. I got a holding tray on my last trip down to AZ that will hold them in the current battery location (I forget the brand but can didg it up if needed). SXS Customs is sending me a spliter that charges the main battery to full then switches over to the accessory battery and a switch can join them temporarily if one battery dies.
Sounds like a good set up but pricey. LOL The kind of pricey that gets my wife excited. Not in a good way. LOL. I was planning on replacing the stock one with just one. Only accessorries I run will be a radio no amps or extra lighting yet. I do want the added power for winching which I thinking is why my warn does so poorly. For some reason this add on has taken a back seat to all the other stuff.

Sorry for the hijack......

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You sell it to the wife on the safety factor. There is no pull start and need to be able to get home safe if one battery dies.

I'm going to run 4 speakers, a sub and a fusion deck this year. I don't want the tunes at a break, run down the main battery, so it won't start. The 2nd battery is running my extra lights and some other stuff too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quite a bit of difference actually...

size, weight, amp hours, reserve, etc.
not sure but the odyssey may need an AGM charger, but I know that the Optima's do not need a special charger.
You also have to take out the oem mounts and do a slight mod to fit the Optima's because of thier size, but the Odyssey fits right in w/ little mods.
I run an Optima D34M & used it all winter to run the snow plow, 6 HID's, Stock lights & a bunch of other stuff. Stock stator won't keep up w/ all of it, so I have to such down the HID's to get the battery charged back up & will put it on the trickle charge after a long night of snow plowing. The Optima has a larger reserve capacity, so I was able to get away w/ this.
Here's an old pic of mine, I've cleaned the mess up quite a bit since...

try these links.

Odysseyfactory.com

Optima Batteries

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does Optima really makes a battery for the Teryx??? Also I have seen the PC925 on ebay for like 160 shipped or something like that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does Optima really makes a battery for the Teryx??? Also I have seen the PC925 on ebay for like 160 shipped or something like that.
Not a direct replacement.
You have to do some mods to the battery box.
I removed the oem box, drilled two small holes for the longer J-hooks I bought at the auto parts store, used the factory hold down bar, drilled out the factory lugs on the wiring to fit the battery lugs, finiggled it in there, and whah la, done.
I still need to put a piece of heavy rubber under the battery for a cushion though.

See the links I posted to specs & dimensions...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to the Interstate battery place here and they looked the Teryx up in their book and said there was a direct drop in Optima battery for the Teryx for $75.00. I did not ask him about the size or power but I will tomorrow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went to the Interstate battery place here and they looked the Teryx up in their book and said there was a direct drop in Optima battery for the Teryx for $75.00. I did not ask him about the size or power but I will tomorrow.
Optima or Interstate?
Interstate makes a U1 series battery that will drop in directly, but it doesn't have the specs as an Odyssey or even close to a full size Optima.
The only battery that Optima shows that will come close to dropping in is the D51 Yellow Top and it is 1.5" longer than the stock battery, so battery box mods will probably be neccessary.

Search U1 Interstate Batteries

·
Registered
526 Posts
I went with 2 oddessy batteries. I used fuel atv's battery hold down bracket. I had to remove the stock battery so that i could mount one of the batteries towards the back. I then mounted the other one in the stock area with fuel atv bracket. I have 3 amps that are a total of 1700 watts. I dont run the full radio amps at all times. I only use all of it when i go to a big events like the atv mud nationals etc. When i am going to play all for any long periods i use a honeywell 1000 watt generator so that i can keep up the batteries which seems to work well for 3 hrs or so so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts