Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get a LED light bar or HID, HID in the factory locations, etc? I like the clean look of the light bar. Do they give you as much visibility as the HID? Would just HID in the factory location be enough light? I was thinking of going ahead and having SDR install my lighting while it is at their shop since I am picking it up the day before my next Glamis trip and would like to have it all ready to go with some good lighting but I got to figure out what to get first.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Hi there, I run the 40" EDGE Series LED on the roof and factory HID conversion in the stock location.

The LED bar puts out a lot of light, however, will not fire the light as far as say four 7" HIDs. On a Teryx, I do not believe you will have a problem with out running the lights, so it may come down to personal preference. Power consumption is different between the two as well as cost, so that may play a factor as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I hadn't even looked at the price of those things. $1450 for the 40" bar! No thanks! What's my best option in about the $300 range? Is just the factory HID conversion pretty decent or is that going to be lacking? Would I be better off leaving the stock lights stock and and adding a couple of stand alone HIDs? Where can a get a reliable factory HID conversion or stand alone HIDs for a good price?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I think what I would do is check around and see if you can get your hands on some of the Checker HID spot lights and then look into doing a factory HID conversion. If you are driving on the street, you will not be able to run those spots, so the HID conversion would come in handy. Check with the vendors here on both the Checker lights and the conversion, I know some of them carry them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am just going to order HID from NightOwl. So if you get the HI/LO kit do you have to install a switch in the dash or something to switch between high and low? I am thinking I don't really need the HI/LO because I don't plan on driving on the street.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Actually the hi-lo utilizes the factory switch, lo for lo, hi for hi ;)

Its all plug-n-play.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also noticed in some of the older forum posts NightOwl said his HID were 6x brighter than stock and on their website it only says 3x brighter. Did he down grade his kits or was the 6x brighter claim just a little optimistic?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the hi-lo utilizes the factory switch, lo for lo, hi for hi ;)

Its all plug-n-play.
OH duh! I barely even touched my new Teryx before bringing it down to SDR. I thought the first position was running lights like a car and the other was headlights on, not HI/LO. I guess I will just grab the HI/LO kit then. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK just ordered that kit. I will see how those do first and then look into additional lights if those aren't cutting it. I am going to have fun trying to install this lighting kit and the power steering kit after I get it home from SDR the day before I leave for Glamis. I love to do stuff myself but I am almost thinking of seeing if SDR can do the install just because I don't know if I will have time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just got an email from NightOwl and I guess he doesn't have the Hi/Lo kits anymore so I am just going to order one from Side X Side customs.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Awesome, great job SxSCustoms! :good:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I have some questions about these kits. It looks like the kit I got actually physically moves the bulb forward and back inside the reflector with a solinoid for the hi/low beam and then I guess there are ones that actually have a halogen low beam and HID high beam and then of course you have your simple HID without hi/low. Any experience, opinions, thoughts on these different systems. I see some of the simple HID kits for as cheap as $50 with slim ballasts. Also what is up with the Vision-X systems. Everybody sells those things for like $300 and they are just a simple HID bulb. Is there something better about them or is it just the name?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sure the kit Endi from Side X Side Customs brought over is a great kit I was curious about the different kinds of systems and also why the prices vary so much. Some of the cheap ones claim they have a two year warranty. I will take a few pictures of my kit and post them in a few minutes.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I would venture to say the cheaps kits will last for a little while and then die. I would much prefer to spend a little more and have a company backing up the product then to just get it from ebay really cheap only for it to take a crap quickly.

I think all the price differences is in the ballasts, I think they all pretty much use the same bulb (I am not a retailer, so I could be wrong)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here is the manufacturers website.

????????????????HID??

Trade sites say they were one of first companies in China to start making HID stuff so I guess they have been around.

Here are some shots of my kit.

The main relay box looks like it only has enough wiring to be under the hood and it needs to be connected to a 12V supply so I am wondering if there is a 12V supply under the hood. For all I know this is how the factory wiring is since I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. The relay box isn't water proofed from the outside either so that is a concern but it could possibly be sealed on the inside. Also if you look close at the bulb picture you will see that third wire and I guess that is the control wire for the solenoid to move the bulb in and out. I guess I don't have to worry about the installation since Tim offered to do it for me but I am still just curious. I used to be a professional mobile electronics installer and have been a professional mechanic at a car dealership and went to school to get my aircraft airframe and power plant license so I have a pretty strong background in this stuff and really enjoy it. I was actually looking forward to installing the power steering and light kit myself but do to my time constraints I am glad Tim offered to do it for me while the Teryx is at his shop. I did read from one user that their experience was that the simple HID bulb put out more light than the hi/lo bulb setup. I don't know if it was due to the reflector design or it could have even just been in their head. Oh yeah Endi also includes ballast mounting brackets with his kit which is nice.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just have the HIDs on mine, no hi-lo...they work great...a little bright for night driving, however, I have adjusted them downwards.

TeryxHQ.com - Kawasaki Teryx Forums - NightOwl HIDs Plug-N-Play Teryx Kit

I am not sure what kit you received, so it is hard for me to judge. For $50 I would almost think you are getting a halogen that looks like an HID.
True HID DP... if you want a set let me know....

I bring them in directly from the manufacture who has given us quality product for the past two years...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Here is the manufacturers website.

Trade sites say they were one of first companies in China to start making HID stuff so I guess they have been around.

Here are some shots of my kit.

The main relay box looks like it only has enough wiring to be under the hood and it needs to be connected to a 12V supply so I am wondering if there is a 12V supply under the hood. For all I know this is how the factory wiring is since I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. The relay box isn't water proofed from the outside either so that is a concern but it could possibly be sealed on the inside. Also if you look close at the bulb picture you will see that third wire and I guess that is the control wire for the solenoid to move the bulb in and out. I guess I don't have to worry about the installation since Tim offered to do it for me but I am still just curious. I used to be a professional mobile electronics installer and have been a professional mechanic at a car dealership and went to school to get my aircraft airframe and power plant license so I have a pretty strong background in this stuff and really enjoy it. I was actually looking forward to installing the power steering and light kit myself but do to my time constraints I am glad Tim offered to do it for me while the Teryx is at his shop. I did read from one user that their experience was that the simple HID bulb put out more light than the hi/lo bulb setup. I don't know if it was due to the reflector design or it could have even just been in their head. Oh yeah Endi also includes ballast mounting brackets with his kit which is nice.
Thanks Kev...

The relay box goes under the hood area and the red wire goes to the battery with some number 10 gauge wire. Don't worry about the relay box as I have dozens of these kits out on the market and have had none come back. I personnel test all of the products that we sell and been very happy with these kits.

If you have any issues Ill come down and give you a hand my friend.. No problems..
You will notice a big difference with the HID's and they will use less power to run then the standard Halogen bulbs and mush cleaner light.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts