Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 08 teryx and would like to put new wheels and big horns on it. Is there any drawbacks to going with 14 inch wheels instead of stock size? Thanks for any input.:wave:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I heard the 14's dont keep a bead very well. I was thinking about 14's too but just decided to get new 12's with bighorns and am perfectly happy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
14's are bad about popping tires off the rim if you run low pressure...you've got to keep a check on the pressure...I've run 14's on all my atv's...but i went with beadlocks on my Teryx...i'm running 8 ply tires with 6 ply sidewalls so popping off of the rim isnt common, even without the beadlocks...but you've got much more tire choices with a 12" wheel and you can air them down if you want to get on the rocks without worrying as much about de-beading a tire

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would have to say no to that in my opinion. It would be the overall gain in circumference of the tire that effects the performance and any added weight that the machine has to sling.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Tires are my business I have owned and operated a tire store 31 years, The plus side of going with a larger wheel diameter on any type of vehicle is better turning and cornering response, you have less sidewall movement thats why all type vehicles are going to larger diameter wheels, now days the suspensions are so much better it allows that, just like in the automotive industry I think you will see the atv market go with more even 15" wheels

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are slight limitations to tire size choices with the 14's although it is getting better all the time.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree with jaketruck but we are seeing it change every day with more 14" starting to come oe and I think we will even start to see some 15" over the next few years as we see every day on cars and trucks with most all oe sizes now becoming 17" and larger some of the GM SUV's we are seeing 22" who would have thought it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
12" all the way!

I ran 14” wheels for the first year and had lots of pinch flats. Having to buy tires at 100.00 each every few rides got old really fast.

Went to the 12” wheels and have not had a pinch flat since….knock on wood.

·
Registered
604 Posts
12" all the way!

I ran 14” wheels for the first year and had lots of pinch flats. Having to buy tires at 100.00 each every few rides got old really fast.

Went to the 12” wheels and have not had a pinch flat since….knock on wood.

what brand of cage is that?and how much is it?and the front bumper?i love the looks of your ride!did you buy plastic or paint it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
what brand of cage is that?and how much is it?and the front bumper?i love the looks of your ride!did you buy plastic or paint it?
Thanks! Factory plastics from an 09 sport. Just did the color change from red and I'm digging it.

Cage and front bumper are by XMF. It was 1,500.00 for cage & roof, passenger billet grab handle, billet rear view mirror and front bumper with powder coating.

and the seats?what brand and how much?
Seats are PRP. Bought them from Nick at UTV Crap, I paid 600.00 but he did give me a great deal because I've spent a few bucks there.....:)

A couple more pics.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i suppose a pinch flat is where the sidewall gets pinched and causing a leak...i had that trouble on the itp mudlight xtrs a few years ago.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is a pinch flat?
It’s when the sidewall pinches against the rim. You have a lot less tire between the ground and rim on 14” wheels. I have a few friends that would get them all the time too until they switched to 12” wheels…..knock on wood.

We have lots of rocky trails here in AZ.

·
Registered
66 Posts
no name ...that is a kick ass ride you have there..i want mine to look the same.have you done your engine yet?
Thanks again whitey.

All I’ve done is the Muzzys, AFE intake, Dyna coils, dyna cdi and clutch kit but it's a huge difference from stock. I’m going to tear it down and do the Weller standard bore kit come May, It gets to hot to ride here then so that will be a good time to do it. It should give me another 10hp.:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
i done the fst 840 and mine is a helldog....i never imagined it would run this good...did the seats help smooth out the ride any on yours any?

·
Registered
66 Posts
i done the fst 840 and mine is a helldog....i never imagined it would run this good...
The 840 kit is a sweet set up.

did the seats help smooth out the ride any on yours any?
Not as much as the XMF LT kit....:D

The seats are suspension seats so I guess they make the ride a little better. They for sure are way more comfortable and you kind of sit in them so it gives you much more confidence when driving.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
No name I like your cage I am going to build one just like it, I have a exhaust pipe bender in my tire store, I printed some pic of yours and going to build one like it as soon as I get a engine kit in it I really like your seats also I have 09 monster they would look great in, who makes those seats and how much

1 - 20 of 24 Posts