Teryx HQ banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you guys discuss the pros and cons of 12" wheels vs 14" wheels?
ITP alloy series is what I'm looking at.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
After some research I went with the 12"...mainly because I would not have to buy new tires for the new rims..BUT I had heard that some of the 14" were having problems...cracking and such...I'm not sure if it has been remedied...most likely it has if it were true in the first place...

Having said that? with 14" you can play around with the width's and offsets more than a 12" if I understand correctly...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also if you dune ride you'll be hard pressed to find a paddle in a 14". I think the bigger wheels look nice, but I don't think there would be any actual "benefit" in running the bigger wheel. On something like a UTV ... I'd say it's all bling. But to some folks that's very important. To each his own.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was looking at some ITP T7 bead locks and some big horns. You can't get the 27" bighorns on a 14" rim.

I also just found out that you can't get bighorn 2.0's in a 27" either.

It's a toss up for me now, I like the 14" rim but when it comes down to it I would rather have the 27" tire!! Something to think about! Check the tire sizes available for each size rim and the availability and cost of those tires, it might help you make a choice.

...............and that is according to the Maxxiss website so if you know different please share that info

·
Registered
258 Posts
Racers use 14" wheels to help with smaller rocks being trapped between the wheel and the hub. It is really about preference and weight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok......some good info. Thanks guys.

My next question then is what's the biggest tire size you can go on a stock setup?
No lift, no aftermarket clutch......all factory.
Looking at mud lites if that matters.
Want as wide and tall as possible, within reason. No rubbing and such.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i got 14's for the simple fact. They look cool. :) No seriously, i got 14's cause i had problems with rocks on my old quad. the rocks would get stuck between the caliper and rim and actually broke a couple rims. So i went bigger this time to see if this would happen again. so far no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts