Teryx HQ banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I knew the answer to why there are two different main jets in the carbs on a Teryx so I called my friend Mike Penland and ask. I thought it was because of the different length exhaust pipe and his answer was heat.

The front cylinder runs cooler than the rear due to air flow so they want the back cylinder to run slightly richer to compensate for that.

Makes sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Just making an observation that I'm not 100% sure of the answer Also I think Mike is a great racer who still makes some products for Kawi quads. (I have his diff lock - the penlock) Too bad for Kawi he went to Can Am.

The engines are water cooled and the rad would block most air flow and equal the majority of the front wind flow loss compared to the back.

Also so why does everyone switch the jetting to the same size jet when they run aftermarket same length exhaust eg Muzzy? Is it the length of the exhaust pipe that affects the heat loss (or at least partially) and why it runs richer?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I have heard both reasons, head pipe length and air. In talking with some others, they said even it you run the same jets on stock pipes, it would not make that much of a different.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Todd. Here's an experiment for you when you start the Dyno tests. After you put the muzzys on, try the dyno and check the individual cylinders with your air/fuel gauge without the muffler on. I know it would be exceptionally loud without the mufflers, but might help discount the offsejetting theory by being able to check each cylinder. Always someone trying to help you use up more of your valuable timee, huh. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts