Teryx HQ banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an led light strip for a vehicle (12v). I wanna hook it up inside my house, and i want come directly of my computers power supply. the power supply will not be running a computer just the leds by its self. its 250 watts and powers 12v and 5v. What im asking is, will there be too many watts for the leds and burn them out or should it be fine?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have an led light strip for a vehicle (12v). I wanna hook it up inside my house, and i want come directly of my computers power supply. the power supply will not be running a computer just the leds by its self. its 250 watts and powers 12v and 5v. What im asking is, will there be too many watts for the leds and burn them out or should it be fine?
I am not sure if this will work but the power supply only supplies what is drawn from it, meaning it will provide up to 250 watts so if the lights are using just 50 watts that is all that is coming out.

Electricity is pulled not pushed.

Example: Your house most likely has a 200 amp service but it does not mean the load on the house is 200 amps all the time, the load is what your pulling from it.

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I not 100% sure what you are trying to do but I would think you need a converter from 12V to 120 to make it work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hunterworks is rite. if the power suply is 250w and your lite strip is less than that the power suply will handle the load. in electrical theory and nec code you want a power suply that is atleast bigger than the load by 20%.

doug the power suply of the computer is pluged into 120v and converts it to 12v and 5 v since it is for a computer.

just try and find the leads off of the power suply for the 12v and use those.

i have never tried this but if the lites draw too much power from the supply it should blow the fuse in your power suply or trip the breaker to the plug in you are using. there shoul be no harm to the lite strip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts