Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using my winch to plow, its a 4500 lb winch. Problem is if I put too much load on the winch it will stall the teryx. Almost everytime, starts back up fine but annoying as hell. Will a larger battery fix this issue?

Lights will dim way down then stall out. battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the smaller winch would do, seems to have a hard enough time picking up the plow as it is, afterall isnt that why its killing the motor cause its straining so much?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most winches are rated at their capacity to pull a rolling load up a 10% incline. Your 4,500 pound winch may only actually lift 450 pounds. The only winch I know of that could actually lift it's rated load was the Megawinch, and I believe they are out of business.

It's pretty easy to test the bigger battery theory, just attach a bigger battery with jumper cables. But first, make sure the vehicle battery is in good shape and fully charged.

I don't have a clue how you use a winch to plow. Are you snow plowing or agricultural plowing? If this plow weighs 450 pounds are you sure the Teryx is enough vehicle for what you want to do?

If you are snow plowing, sub zero weather can weaken a healthy, fully charged battery by as much as 80%! In such cold, you're lucky to even have enough power to crank the engine starter. Forget a winch. There are stick on battery heating pads available, I think in both 12 volt and 110.

You could put your Teryx in a warm garage to see if the winch works better.

If you are indeed overloading your winch, this will cause abnormally high electrical draw as will be evidenced by rapid overheating and damage to the winch.

With anything electrical, there are many other possibilities. Is the winch wiring thick enough? Are the connections good? Is the winch motor damaged in some way?

Is the cable wedged between the drum and the winch body? I had a friend where the very end of the cable passed through the side of the winch drum where it was anchored. Somehow it got out of position and wedged itself between the drum and the rest of the winch, binding the drum. This was hard to spot on a winch that was out in front of the vehicle and would be harder to spot on an ATV winch hidden in the front bodywork. Also, a submarined cable could increase the load on the winch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the viper 4500 and it pulled like a mule even with out the motor running with no loss in pulling.
but it whent crazy and it died and is being replaced under warrenty

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The winch is a Viper Max 4500 LB

I will put an amp meter on it o see what its drawing under load.

On their site its states Line pull on 4th real of cable is 3066lbs and amp draw no load is 31 amps, 2000lbs 155 amps and full load 318 amps.

Not sure what our battery is rated for or what our stator can put out.

I have always plowed with atv's and never had this issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The winch is a Viper Max 4500 LB

I will put an amp meter on it o see what its drawing under load.

On their site its states Line pull on 4th real of cable is 3066lbs and amp draw no load is 31 amps, 2000lbs 155 amps and full load 318 amps.

Not sure what our battery is rated for or what our stator can put out.

I have always plowed with atv's and never had this issue.
Good question - what is the electrical output on the Teryx?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The service manual for 2008 says (page 1-10) max alternator output is 24.2 amps. You will need to rev the engine a bit to get this. Shouldn't change much for 2009.

US battery is 14 AH, CA battery is 12 AH. (What kind of problem can Califuckingfornia possibly have with a BATTERY? :mad:)

So if the battery can suppy 14 amps for one hour then 318 amps should drain it in about 2 and a half minutes. Say three, with the alternator running.

Remember, cut that battery capacity by about 80% in 0 degree Farenheit weather. That would suggest about half a minute of winch operation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Warn site indicates that you can only run their winches at maximum load for 10 seconds at a time, with a cooling off period of 10 minutes. If you run their winches at 50% capacity, you can operate them for about 45 seconds before having to rest them 10 minutes. The Teryx battery ought to be able to do this, even in cold conditions, and recharge in between. If the system isn't working, something is wrong with the winch or the installation. After all, similar systems worked in other ATVs.

A winch would be something I wouldn't buy used considering how easy it is for someone to fry it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I need to check my battery. Charged again, plowed my driveway for about 10 minutes, everything was finr then dead. Checked all my connections, I can't think of any way to hook it up improperly and have it still work.

Broke my winch cable, bonus in the middle of a storm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From an earlier post, it sounds like the winch is used briefly to lift the plow. If the battery is exhausted 10 minutes later, something else is draining the battery or there's something wrong with the charging system.

If you have a lot of extra lights and accessories you may be overloading your alternator. See the thread regarding HO stators or adding alternators to the Teryx.

Doesn't it take an awful lot to break a cable?

·
Registered
132 Posts
naw, the cables break easily when used over and over the fairlead...LOL
make sure your winch wires aren't grounded out somewhere, the winch uses both sides of the motor wires to go forward and reverse.
is the place where the cable is hooked to the plow proper? what i mean is, are you trying to pull your plow back instead of up? wrong leverage so to speak?
does your winch have a solenoid that has to be on in order for it to work like the warn ones do? i had one on my cheap winch for safety and the thing burned out in about 10 minutes. Another thing i noticed while plowing was that i had to have it warmed up very well before i could plow.
another thing i do is back up slightly before lifting the plow, it's easier when you aren't trying to lift the snow bank too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes has a solenoid, hooked up properly. I would like to test what its drawing but not sure how to on a DC circuit. I have an amp meter that clamps around wires but that only works on AC currents.

Not convinced its the winch, I will do some testing. I have noticed it really has been a problem when the fan comes on... hmmm

Looking at the angle it seems to be a poor design, Eagle plow. The winch cable is almost straight out with little pressure on the lower roller, seems right until i think about it more and feel maybe there is an extreme pressuer on the mount pins. The mount pins are in the front of the machine. Maybe thats why the mounts are bending so easy? (see other posts on eagle plows)

·
Registered
132 Posts
don't forget that the solenoid takes energy to stay in the on position too.
i was told a while back that the dealers don't always take the time to charge the batteries properly, i hitched mine to a 2 amp trickle charger and let it sit there all day long, now i'm not saying there was a dramatic difference but, i went to start it yesterday after sitting out in the cold shed for about two weeks or more and it fired right up! Naturaly i felt obligated to take it for a spin through the snow and it was a blast!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the solenoid draws juice all the time? I mean with the teryx off I can operate the winch. I do not have it tied into the ignition.

Hunter
My tires are stock for now, although I WILL be talking to you in the spring about some new rims and ires :)

Thinkig about winch angles more, the stock mount is only a few inches above where the plow mounts, and if the winch connection point is lower than the pivot point it causes much more strain on the winch. On the atv I had the arms attached halfway back so you really had a mechanical advantage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
the relay(solenoid) will draw whenever you turn it on in order to operate the winch. it's an electromagnetic connection, that's why you hear a "click" when you turn it on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts