Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having a problem with their winch literally killing their engine?
This has been an ongoing problem since the dealer installed my winch a year ago. Whenever I put a strain on the winch the engine will die. Before it used to just die and I would be able to restart the engine, now it will kill the engine I get nothing but clicking when turning over. If i put a charger on the battery for 10 minutes the battery will crank like its been charged for a full day. Its a Warn 3500lb with a 6ft plow. Cant blame the weight of the plow because this has happend even when i had the winch attached to the tree on level ground pulling the Teryx in. Something isnt right and it seems the dealership only wants to give me answers if I bring it in and empty my pockets more.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I am not sure if anything is wrong. A winch just draws lots of power and will sap a battery quickly, once you drop the battery below a certain voltage the engine will die cause the ignition won't fire anymore.

A bigger might work but it can make it worse cause the battery is a electrical accessory too and needs more juice to charge the bigger battery.

Leave your present battery on a trickle charger when not running but use a regular charger first to get it full.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am not sure if anything is wrong. A winch just draws lots of power and will sap a battery quickly, once you drop the battery below a certain voltage the engine will die cause the ignition won't fire anymore.

A bigger might work but it can make it worse cause the battery is a electrical accessory too and needs more juice to charge the bigger battery.

Leave your present battery on a trickle charger when not running but use a regular charger first to get it full.
Well Said...

You can add a secondary battery with an isolator and run it off the secondary. There is so much you can do with the stock stator.

·
Registered
165 Posts
check the winch's positive conection to the battery and make sure the winch positive lead is on the post side. if the winch is on the outside of the terminal bolt with the the bikes hot wire between the post and the winch, when you load the winch and it starts to draw it will pull all the available electricity and kill the bike. THE WINCH LEAD HAS TO BE DIRECT TO THE POST!!. learned the hard way, my bike did the same thing as yours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check the connections. Anyone have any thoughts on when the engine dies it just clicks but within 10 mins of a charger, the battery has strength as if it was charged all day? I found that kind of odd as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had this same thing happen to me a couple time. Not long after the stock battery took a poop on me. I check with a friend that works at a dealership. He told me kawi's replacement battery is bigger and is no longer a sealed battery. I replace mine with the new style and have not had any problems since. Good luck with your.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like you may have a couple different problems, either your battery is weak or you have something wired wrong. Your winch should not kill the motor during use.

I have installed Warns, Vipers and Superwinch winches, without actually being there to test it, I would start with the battery first, check voltage on it before starting and after starting. Use the winch and if it kills the motor check voltage again, if you have a significant drop it could be a bad cell in the battery, the problem being what caused it, by it taking a full charge within minutes does'nt mean alot.

I would charge it fully, record the voltage, let it sit overnight and check again the next day, if the battery passes start looking at your wiring, it has either been wired wrong or you may have a bad contactor (the relay box for the winch).

Its tough to diagnose things over the internet, just a few suggestions, good luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Stock battery is garbage and the winch under load will keep killing it.... Put a yellow top optima in it and be done! You won't ever have a problem again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seem to be leading towards a new Battery. Yellow top optima? Better then even the new stock? Your not a seller trying to push this battery are you?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree that the stock battery is lacking, but it still should not kill the engine and putting a Optima in it would surely be a nice upgrade, but if there is another problem then the Optima will soon be in the same shape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok looking into various batteries. Seems as if the Stock Kawasaki battery is like 80 bucks.
Seems as if everyone who is talking about the optima or odyssey batteries have 8 million electrical mods going on. I just want my winch to work. Are these batteries worth the 200 bucks compared to the 80? Also dont want to get into putting a battery in thats too much of a load and starts messing with other components of the teryx. I would like to avoid future problems and like to stay as stock as possible, but if The Kawasaki stock batterie is junk i would be willing to pay more.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My opinion is the stock battery should do the job, again you may have another problem.

I am no expert, but have ran several different winches on various machines and have never been forced to upgrade the battery, I have installed over a dozen winches on Yamahas, Hondas and Kawasaki's.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never seen one kill the engine during use. If and I say if, the battery is truly the cause and there isn't any other problem, then maybe you should try a better battery, I like you would be hesitant to spend 200.00 on a battery if I did'nt need it.

Do you not know someone locally that may be able to help diagnose your problem? again, good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have you taken your battery to a decent automotive electrical shop?, most will check it at no charge and tell whether the battery has a problem.

Just trying to shoot out a few ideas, also did you get the installation instructions for your winch?, if you did you may want to double check that all your wiring is correct and make sure that the power wire is hooked up to a wire that is off with the ignition, you may just have a small continuous drain on the battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so i went out today and did more plowing. Engine never died or even appeared as if it was gonna die. I did nothing to the battery. Didn't charge it overnight or anything. Could this still just be a battery issue? I will voltage test it sometime this week. I just dont feel like buying a battery if thats not the problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My opinion is the stock battery should do the job, again you may have another problem.

I am no expert, but have ran several different winches on various machines and have never been forced to upgrade the battery, I have installed over a dozen winches on Yamahas, Hondas and Kawasaki's.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never seen one kill the engine during use. If and I say if, the battery is truly the cause and there isn't any other problem, then maybe you should try a better battery, I like you would be hesitant to spend 200.00 on a battery if I did'nt need it.

Do you not know someone locally that may be able to help diagnose your problem? again, good luck.
These aren't other machines... They're heavy and the stock battery has no capacity what so ever. I couldn't run HID lights at night without killing the battery to the point that if the bike cut if it wouldn't crank back due to low voltage. Ever since putting in a yellow top I've had 0 issues with the battery.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have'nt run HID lights,but I would think that they would pull more on the battery just because of the length of time you are using them, I am sure their are others on here that know more about lighting.

I just stated that the stock battery should be sufficent to run a winch with the engine running.

·
Registered
165 Posts
172 hours on stock battery. check you wiring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didnt do the install, I brought it to the dealership to have this done. Funny thing is, I have installed my own winch on my ATV before, but figured with the amount of money I spent on my Teryx i might as well spend the money to have it done right and have no worries that I messed anything up. Lol, I have called the dealership a couple times and they arent even offering to look at it for free or even suggest it was their wiring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts