Teryx HQ banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 teryx viper widespool winch tried to use today and when I tried to reel it in it was cuting my teryx off. I believe it would be grounding out but not sure any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
2010 teryx viper widespool winch tried to use today and when I tried to reel it in it was cuting my teryx off. I believe it would be grounding out but not sure any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Stock battery?? If so i bet thats your problem, the stock batteries are junk IMO, I had same prob and ended up putting in an oddysey 925, no problems since. Winches pull alot of current.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Also maybe try tapping on the winch solenoid, mine stuck one time but it didnt kill the motor, after that i lubed the connections real good with dielectric grease, I still think your problem is battery tho.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I too would also say that most likely it is your battery, I have seen several people with the same problem, I have had this same problem with several different type vehicles over the years and in every case it turns out to be the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will see tomorrow but I might need to mention that it is the 5000 pound winch and I thank yall forr ant advice

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yes a 5000# would even compound the problem, thats pulls a ton on your battery, I bet a good battery will solve your problem

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had this same problem with the same model winch and same year model Teryx. I had the leads from the winch contactor behind some other leads at the battery terminal. Make sure that the leads from the contactor are on the opposite side of the battery terminal from any other leads and they are DIRECTLY touching the terminal. I did this with a stock battery and everything is working fine. I also run a probox top radio and a sub/amp combo in the bed. I recently added a second battery but it worked fine on the stock battery with all that running after I switched the leads around.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Teryx stock battery is a weak battery. A 4500 or 5000 pound winch can draw a lot of power. If the Battery is pulled down below 10 and close to 9 amps, the machine will quit running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for suggestions but the problem was my fault. I did not pay attention that the exhaust pipe was there and I had the wires right on it. So therefore got hot and melted the insulatio off the wires. It is fixed and pullin good now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts