Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XChamp asked me to post these for him. They are of his GNCC 840 Teryx with custom Roll Cage designed and built by Thunderhawk Performance.

Check out this bad boy!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone and thanks Will for posting pics for me.
Yes its a Four Stroke Tech 840 and runs awesome. The cage was built by Harry at Thunderhawk Performance from here on the site. He is located in Ohio so its a nice option for us east coast guys when it comes to shipping. His service and workmanship are awesome. This was his first two seat cage and it fit perfect, I like how he did the bed delete also. The rear bumper and built in chassis brace is his design also and Im also using his front chassis brace. A strong front bumper by him is in the works, trashed the stocker at the GNCC race this past weekend. Harry is getting started on my custom 4 seat cage and bumpers for an upcoming feature in Dirt Wheels magazine later this year. He is also working on bolt on 4 seat cages and lowered stock side hoops for those guys that want a safer lowered stock cage. The car also features Elka shocks on STANDARD A-Arms, Its a wood racer and trail machine, not a west coaster (dragonfire, lol). I cant say enough about the performance of the shocks during my race on sat. I just got them on friday, did a quick ride and some fine tuning before the race. I ran every rough open area to the floor with no issues, love them! It also has beard seats which really kept me planted during the race. Only changes is to get the roll cage and bumpers powder coated, hopefully kawie green and maybe a radiator relocation to the bed area.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Yes the rad needs to be mover for GNCC racing because what XChamp didn't tell you is it started raining very hard right before the race. All the races before this it was dusty and there was no reason to think about the rad getting packed with mud. In fact our V-Force rider Mike Benson in the unlimited utility class not only wone his class in the morning race but won the overall too with a very fast track. Anyway for the first time out XChamp was turning 2nd fastest lap times with pro rider Wiliam Yokley #1. He was faster the EX Pro MX racer Tim Far so he was holding his own until he packed the rad and killed the 840. We will get it apart later this week but I don't hold out to much hope for it because he ran it till she wouldn't go no more. Not really his fault that he didn't stop,everyone had steam coming off the cars and the dash was coverd so he couldn't see that it was running hot. This is where Evans coolant saves motors. The Evans boils over at 350* and most of the time even with a packed rad it will not get that hot,or it doesn't on our quads. I knew I shouldn't have let him race before the Dirt Wheels shoot.:mad: He just didn't want me to go on vacation.:mad::mad::laugh:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very Nice xchamp,best of luck in the series and keep us posted. Just saw Mickeys post! Chit!! tear her down and build her back up. Just got done myself. sent you a pm on jetting

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yep just like mickey stated the race was the worse conditions ive ever saw in over 40 GNCC's. Problem is the conditions were perfect when I left the trailer for the starting line. 5 minutes before the race we got a heavy downpour and rained the whole race. Its a shame the car was working awesome! Team Polaris/National Guard rider William Yokley was the only guy that physically passed me, he has won everyone one of these races for the past two years. I think on a dry track my HP advantage would have gave me a chance at him. Depending on how bad my motor is cooked will determine if I do the next one in October. It was the worse racing conditions ive ever been in, but the most fun I ever had while it lasted. Just hard to justify the expense and time associated with it. Going to the quad club camping and riding my stocker all weekend with the family and friends, it will be a good time, but man am i going to miss the 840!:mad:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Less then 30 min. to take it apart to find $3000 in damage!:mad:
I thought a couple thousand was closer to 2k!! :laugh:

It sucks big time, but thats racing, dont know if Ill do it again after this ordeal, I need some money sponsors!!:p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice cage, sorry to hear about the engine though.
Conditions were absolutely horrible. We ran without goggles for the last 20 minutes of the race which was a not fun.
I was the blue Teryx with silver cage that started on the third line.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice cage, sorry to hear about the engine though.
Conditions were absolutely horrible. We ran without goggles for the last 20 minutes of the race which was a not fun.
I was the blue Teryx with silver cage that started on the third line.
You got a nice cage also, I really liked it. How did you end up?? No radiator problems??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks! Mine is all 4130 chromoly. Its welded directly to the frame. Id post pictures but I don't want to highjack your thread.

We got 6th up there. We got owned by 2 trees at the beginning of race.:mad:

I watched the "130hp" turbo RZR blow, it sounded like he blew darn near everything on it, engine, trans and a diff.....who knows our exhaust is loud.

Dragonfireracing.....which one of you is doing all the posting on this forum???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maybe I can save you some trouble.

I've been working in the automotive racing industry since 1988, and have done extensive design and development work on EFI and turbo systems since 1992 (complete turbo systems like CARB-approved 5.0L & 4.6L Mustangs and the Lingenfelter Corvette). I wanted to do a turbo RZR about a year ago, but shelved that project since I did not have an engine dyno for development (an engine dyno is necessary to build a reliable turbo system, chassis dynos cannot properly load the engine for testing).

I have wanted to build a turbo Teryx ever since we purchased our 2008 Teryx, but the carbs and lack of a dyno stopped me. I now have an engine dyno available to use for a turbo Teryx project and Kawasaki has given us EFI on the 2009's. :D

The next GNCC race is in September, right? That would be enough time to develop and thoroughly test a turbo system for the Teryx.

Oops, we've hijacked this thread. Contact me if you'd like to discuss the turbo Teryx. I'll start a new thread about this once things come together.

Harry

PS: There are many reasons that may have caused the "130 HP" RZR to expire. I'd look primarily at turbo system design and tuning. There are no UTV systems that are properly designed and tested. The UTV turbo kit companies even admit that they build a system, then run it for a day on a Dynojet. A dynojet just gives them HP numbers for advertising, not any real data on the engine operation with the turbo system installed. On top of that, there's no way to reliably produce 130 HP from a Polaris 760cc twin engine. The owner of that RZR may have foolishly turned up the boost, which combined with the design shortcomings of current turbo systems, would have guaranteed engine failure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The next GNCC race is October 3rd in Ohio I believe. Xchamp, I hope to see you out there.
The RZR was brought out by a particular company that built these systems. I believe the back of their shirts said something like, "would you like to own a 130hp RZR?" I can't recall the name of the company, if I heard it I would know. Now I believe I have the best fuel management system out there right now for the 09. All I need is a map sensor to handle the extra air. Start a thread and Ill post my info and thoughts as I also have experience in that field.
Xchamp, get your rig back together, redo the radiator and come out to Ohio and I'll bring the beer! Ill start a little thread and show you how I mounted everything if you'd like to give you some ideas.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The next GNCC race is October 3rd in Ohio I believe. Xchamp, I hope to see you out there.
The RZR was brought out by a particular company that built these systems. I believe the back of their shirts said something like, "would you like to own a 130hp RZR?" I can't recall the name of the company, if I heard it I would know. Now I believe I have the best fuel management system out there right now for the 09. All I need is a map sensor to handle the extra air. Start a thread and Ill post my info and thoughts as I also have experience in that field.
Xchamp, get your rig back together, redo the radiator and come out to Ohio and I'll bring the beer! Ill start a little thread and show you how I mounted everything if you'd like to give you some ideas.
Yes harry (Thunderhawk) and I would like to see some pics of your ride especially the rad. mount. Right now my wallet is saying no more racing, but I know by Sept. Ill most likely be getting the ride "race ready" again. Mickey has my motor now and is awaiting parts then we have to build the car over as a 4 seater for a dirt wheels mag. shoot. Later this summer Ill be putting it back together as a 2 seat racer again. So time will tell, but Id love to be at that race, we need some teryx's on that podium!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts